How to Make a Latte
Lattes are delicious espresso-rich drinks created with steamed milk for a creamy, tasty experience. They are a favorite at local coffee shops, often served with impressive latte art using milk foam topped over a shot of espresso and milk.
It’s a popular drink that you can enjoy in coffee houses and cafes worldwide. You can enjoy this drink in its simplest form, add a shot of flavor, or experiment with various types of milk, including non-dairy options. Typically, the espresso to steamed milk is served at a one-to-two ratio.
What You’ll Need to Create a Latte
If you’re tempted to try making this delicate drink at home, you’ll need a few items to get started:
- Coffee beans
- A coffee grinder (manual or electric)
- Espresso machine
- Pitcher for the milk
- Steam wand (may be included with the espresso machine)
- Cloth or portafilter
How to Create a Latte: Step-by-step
Before you begin making a latte, you’ll want to get familiar with your espresso maker so that you can brew your favorite beans. The first step in creating a tasty latte is perfecting your ideal espresso, which will impact your drink's quality.
- Prepare at least one shot of espresso by following the manufacturer’s instructions and your own techniques, as needed.
- Pour the milk into a pitcher and prepare to use the steam wand. The cloth should be moist before you begin.
- Position the pitcher to line up the nozzle with the steam wand, then place the wand in the center of the pitcher, at least one inch below the milk’s surface, and switch it on. This process should take a few seconds, and you can lower the wand as needed, though make sure it does not reach the bottom of the pitcher.
- As you create a whirlpool in the pitcher, continue until the texture is silk and shiny.
- Keep the milk warm, then pour in the shot of espresso.
To create the milk foam, heat about ¼ cup or less of milk to scalding, then place in a tall container. Hold the container on an angle and use a frother to whip the milk into a foam, which takes about 15-20 seconds in total. Pour the foam on top of the latte, then serve.
Variations and Toppings for Your Latte
Once you get comfortable creating a traditional latte, you may want to try some exciting variations and toppings. Many coffee shops offer non-dairy alternatives, which can provide great options for vegan and dairy-free diets. Whole milk is typically the choice for baristas, though you can easily switch to coconut, almond, and soy milk, all of which make excellent alternatives.
If you enjoy a shot of flavor in your coffee, you may want to add this to your latte. You may find this option creates a more robust taste, as it may become absorbed in the foam. Some baristas offer toppings for signature latte drinks, including a dusting of cocoa powder, chocolate shavings, cinnamon powder, and more.
A great alternative to espresso-based latte drinks is tea lattes. Some of the most popular choices you’ll find at your local coffee shop include chai latte, matcha latte, and other blends. While these drinks offer a different flavor profile entirely, they are created similarly to a traditional latte. They offer a fun way to enjoy a variety of flavors with steamed milk.
Learning how to make a latte is fun to enjoy your favorite blend or single-origin coffee beans. You’ll find a great selection of beans from Nusa Coffee, a high-quality roastery that features the highest quality single-origin beans from Indonesia. The company offers a fantastic selection of beans sourced ethically from sustainable farming. These beans create some of the best lattes you’ll enjoy!
What makes Nusa Coffee Company one of the best in Canada?
Nusa is commitment to sustainability. We also offer a blend of natural flavors which are impressive, with all the right notes to create delicious cappuccinos, lattes, americanos, and other blended, espresso-based drinks.
What kinds of coffee beans does Nusa Coffee Company have?
Nusa Coffee beans offer a variety of flavour profiles from spicy to floral tones and more. And they supply coffee of both Arabica and Robusta origins. Nusa Coffee takes its sourcing methods and business integrity seriously. Nusa Coffee sources its coffee beans from several Indonesian farmers and producers, with whom the company has developed personal relationships.
What's so special about Sumatra Gayo coffee beans?
Sumatran Gayo coffee is grown at the northern tip of the Sumatran Island and has an exotic earthy aroma. The Sumatra Gayo coffee beans from Nusa Coffee Company are an absolute must.
How do you make a latte?1. Prepare at least one shot of espresso by following the manufacturer’s instructions and your own techniques, as needed.
2. Pour the milk into a pitcher and prepare to use the steam wand. The cloth should be moist before you begin.
3. Position the pitcher to line up the nozzle with the steam wand, then place the wand in the center of the pitcher, at least one inch below the milk’s surface, and switch it on. This process should take a few seconds, and you can lower the wand as needed, though make sure it does not reach the bottom of the pitcher.
4. As you create a whirlpool in the pitcher, continue until the texture is silk and shiny.
5. Keep the milk warm, then pour in the shot of espresso.